girl2

girl2

Sunday, August 30, 2015

I Should Have Been Born in the 1930s

I spend a lot of time in my garden and at the local public market. I have gotten to know quite a few of the local farmers and have enjoyed talking to them. Many of them are farm smaller pieces of land and even one has an area that is wild so he can forage his dandelion greens and wild leeks.

I always make a point of buying something from the smaller farms, and also ask them if they have any seconds. That is one thing that I know these guys do is keep the best looking on top because they know that is what sells. Unfortunately it also means that the 2nds don't sell and get taken home or tossed. I would rather pay them for the food (yes, they'll discount it but that's not my point) than see them toss it away. They worked too hard for that. And the waste...I should have been lived in the 1930's on a farm. I don't believe in throwing away perfectly good food that can be cooked into sauce and stews.



Check out this video on someone doing this on a bigger scale.
Man in the Maze

No comments:

Post a Comment